Tax Return & Refund Status Tool: Check the Status of your Return, Refund
Check Your Actual IRS Tax Status What’s My Federal Tax Return, Refund Status?  
or call 1-800-829-4477 for automated information 24 hours a day
Check Your State Tax Refund Status Where is My State Tax Refund?  

 Tax Refund Date Tool: Estimate your 2017 Tax Refund Date (2016 Tax Return)

Efile and bank direct deposit is the fastest and safest way for you to receive your tax refund. Simply use the 2017 IRS Refund Cycle Chart for Tax Year 2016.

Amended Tax Return Refunds

You should wait 3 weeks after you mailed your amended return before checking your amended tax return status. The online “Where’s my refund” service does not keep track of amendment refunds, but you can check the IRS “Where’s My Amended Return” tool on the IRS website. This online tool provides the status of amended tax returns for the current year and up to three prior years. Alternatively, you can access the tool via phone by calling 1-866-464-2050.

What’s My Amended Tax Return, Refund Status?

Amended returns typically take 8-12 weeks for the IRS to process, so you should wait at least 8 weeks before checking on the status of your tax refund. If it has been over 12 weeks since you filed your amendment and you have not received your refund, you should call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and speak to a customer service representative. Here’s a tip for when you call: Press 1 (for English), press 0 (zero), press 0 (zero), and you should be able to talk to a live person at the IRS. The best time to reach the IRS is between 7-9 AM and 6-7 PM, Monday-Friday.

Learn more about amending or changing a tax return.

Direct Deposit Refund

If you choose to receive your tax refund via direct bank deposit, your expected tax refund will be electronically transferred from the IRS (US Treasury) to the bank account you entered during your online tax return process. This transfer is free of charge.

Click here to find out more about the status of your direct deposit tax refund.

What If My Refund Is Lower than I Expected? – Refund Offsets

If the amount of your direct deposit refund is lower than the refund calculated on your tax return, then your refund may have been adjusted, or offset, by the Department of Treasury’s Offset Program. The Program is run by the Bureau of Fiscal Service (BFS). Under the Treasury Offset Program, various federal and state government agencies are authorized to seize outstanding federal or state debts from federal tax refunds.

The BFS may offset part or all of your federal tax refund to pay:

  • Unpaid child support
  • Federal non-tax debts (including student loan repayments)
  • State income tax debts
  • State unemployment compensation debts

If your refund has been offset, you will receive a notice from the Department of Treasury’s Financial Management Service via mail. The notice will list the original refund and offset amounts. It will also include the agency that received the offset payment and their contact information.

I Don’t Believe I Owe the Tax Debt. How Can I Dispute the Offset?

You will need to contact the agency that received the offset part of your refund, not the IRS or BFS. The notice will include instructions on how to contact the appropriate agency or agencies.

If I’m an Injuried Spouse, May I Qualify for my Part or All of the Refund?

If you efiled or filed a joint tax return, you may be entitled to part or all of the refund offset. This rule applies if your spouse is mainly responsible for the debt. File Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation efile it to request your part of the refund.

2017 tax return due dates