How to Contact the IRS.

Reach the IRS via Telephone

Needing help with Tax Problems? Contact the IRS here – Live Telephone Assistance
When calling, you may ask questions to help you prepare your tax return, or ask about a notice you have received. Please be aware that when you conclude your discussion, our system will not permit you to return to your original responder. How to Contact the IRS.

Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
Toll-Free, 800-829-1040

Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Telephone Assistance for Businesses:
Toll-Free, 800-829-4933

Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Telephone Assistance for Exempt Organizations, Retirement Plan Administrators, and Government Entities:
Toll-Free, 877-829-5500

Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday,  8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Local Time.

Telephone Assistance for people with hearing impairments:
Toll-Free 800-829-4059 (TDD)
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).
For further information, see Tax Topic 102.

Telephone Assistance for Individuals who believe they may be a victim of Identity Theft: No Tax Administration Impact – Did not receive a notice from the IRS. Toll-Free 800-908-4490(Automated and live assistance)
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time). For additional information, refer to our Identity Theft and Your Tax Records page.

Telephone Assistance for people who live outside the United States
Hours of availability vary by location. Please see our International Services page.

Face-to-Face Assistance
In certain areas, IRS also has local offices you may visit to receive assistance.

How to reach a Taxpayer Advocate

  • Call the telephone number for your local TAS office or 1-877-777-4778
  • File Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, with the Taxpayer Advocate Service or request that an IRS employee complete a Form 911 on your behalf (in person or over the phone).
If a notice is not received, contact BFS’ TOP call center at 800-304-3107 or TDD866-297-0517. The available hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. Contact the IRS only if your original refund amount shown on the BFS offset notice differs from the refund amount shown on your tax return.



Where’s My Refund? will give you personalized refund information
The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days. Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund. The tool is updated once a day so you don’t need to check more often. IRS representatives can research the status of your refund only if you’ve already checked Where’s My Refund? and it’s been 21 days or more since you filed electronically, more than six weeks since you mailed your paper return, or if Where’s My Refund? directs you to contact us.

Suspicious e-Mails, Phishing, and Identity Theft
The IRS does not send out unsolicited e-mails asking for personal information. An electronic mailbox has been established for you to report suspicious e-mails claiming to have been sent by the IRS.

How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?
If you have information about an individual or company you suspect is not complying with the tax law, report this activity.

Contact Your Local IRS Office
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are available for when you believe your issue is best handled face-to-face. Before you visit, check hours and services offered. Return preparation services are no longer available at your local IRS office. Use IRS Free File, free brand-name software that will figure your taxes for you. Or visit the nearest volunteer site for free help preparing and e-filing your tax return.

IRS Mailing Addresses (“Where to File”)
For those who don’t file their federal tax returns electronically, the “Where to File” pages provide mailing addresses for filing all paper tax returns. You may also use your appropriate “Where to File” address for other written correspondence with the IRS.

Contact Your Taxpayer Advocate
If you have an ongoing issue with the IRS that has not been resolved through normal processes, or you have suffered, or are about to suffer a significant hardship/economic burden as a result of the administration of the tax laws, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service. We have offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

How to Make an Offshore Voluntary Disclosure
Taxpayers wanting to report undisclosed income or assets should come in through the IRS Voluntary Disclosure Program.

Contact the Health Coverage Tax Credit Program
The legislation that authorized the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) expired January 1, 2014. This tax credit helped make health insurance more affordable for eligible individuals and their families by paying a significant portion of qualified health insurance premiums for tax years 2002 through 2013.

Contact the IRS Return Preparer Program
PTIN call center phone numbers. These phone numbers are for tax professionals only and DO NOT provide assistance with individual income tax return or refund issues

Contact IRS Internationally
International Services: IRS contact information for taxpayers who live outside the United States.

Get help navigating the site, finding information, using site features or understanding file formats. Chat or speak with a website customer service representative or send an email message or comment. Website assistance is available Monday-Friday.