Did you receive a Form 1095-C in the mail from the IRS?
Tax Question: What is Form 1095-C and why did I receive it in the mail from the IRS?
IRS Answer: Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage Insurance, provides you with information about the health coverage offered by your employer. In some cases, it may also provide information about whether you enrolled in this coverage. Form 1095 C is filed and furnished to any employee of an ALE member who is a full-time employee for one or more months of the calendar. ALE Members must report that information for all twelve months of the calendar year for each employee.
How do I use the information on my Form 1095-C?
- This form provides you with information about the health coverage offered by your employer and, in some cases, about whether you enrolled in this coverage.
- If you enrolled in a health plan through the Marketplace, the information in Part II of Form 1095-C could help determine if you’re eligible for the premium tax credit. If you did not enroll in a health plan through the Marketplace, this information is not relevant to you.
- If there is information in Part III of Form 1095 C, review this information to determine if there are months when you or your family members did not have coverage. If there are months you did not have coverage, you should determine if you qualify for an exemption from the requirement to have coverage. If not, you must make an individual shared responsibility payment.
- You are not required to file a tax return solely because you received a Form 1095-C if you are otherwise not required to file a tax return.
- Do not attach Form 1095 C to your tax return – keep it with your tax records.
What if I don’t get my Form 1095-C?
- You might not receive a Form 1095 C by the time you are ready to file your 2015 tax return, and it is not necessary to wait for it to file.
- The information on these forms may assist in preparing a return. However, you can prepare and file your return using other information about your health insurance.
- The IRS does not issue and cannot provide you with your Form 1095 C. For questions about your Form 1095 C, contact your employer. See line 10 of Form 1095-C for a contact number.
2016 irs form 1095c download